Welcome to the Dominicans Waterford
St Saviour’s priory, Bridge Street, is home to a small community of Dominicans who are engaged in the liturgical and sacramental life of their priory church. The church and priory are located in Waterford’s city centre, in the heart of a rejuvenated residential area.
Waterford was the first settlement in Munster for the Dominicans (1226). They were the first friars of any Order to reach the city. For all the hurry with which they came to Waterford, it took nine years for them to find a home. Eventually, at the request of the citizens, Henry III permitted them in 1235 to build a priory “on a vacant site under the city walls, where there was anciently a small tower.” The ruins of this mediaeval church still stand near a narrow street now called Blackfriars.
For more information about St. Saviour’s in Waterford, please got the the website www.stsaviourswaterford.com